Nairobi Master Plan
The Karimenu 2 Dam site is located in Kiriani Division, downstream of Mwagu. The location co-ordinates are defined as within latitude 0°50’S and 0°55’S and longitude 36°50’E and 36°55’E.
The following was carried out as part of the Feasibility Study of Karimenu 2 Dam:
• Preliminary Environmental Impact Assessment of the social, economic and physical effects of implementation on the flora, fauna and human population of the area
• Plan the human resettlement and compensation to landowners
• Geological and Topographical surveys established the lithostratigraphy of different rocks and delineated geological structures in the study area, i.e. faults, joints, map out the soil types
• Study of health aspects due to reservoir impoundment, adequacy of downstream compensation water and effect of construction works in the environment
• Study of impacts due to erosion, sedimentation and pollution resulting from land use practices in the catchment area
The salient features of the Dam Site are:
• Implementation year: 2016
• Maximum height of 40m.
• Catchment area: 88.97 km².
• Reservoir storage: 14.23 x 106 m³
• Reservoir yield: 46,224 m³/day
• Impoundment area: 102 ha.
• Volume of Dam: 880,000 m