Chuka Water Supply Infrastructure
The Project Area is located approximately 185km north of Nairobi, the Capital City of Kenya, in Tharaka Nithi County. Chogoria Town is on the Western slopes of Mt. Kenya which is the highest Mountain in Kenya at 5199m amsl. The Project area covers 280 km2 which is in Maara sub-County and borders Mt Kenya Forest to the West, Tharaka sub-County to the East, Meru County to the North and Meru South sub-County on the Southern border.
The goal and objective of this Project is to improve the Water Supply Services in Chogoria Town and its environs.
The Scope of Works is as follows:
• Construction of Reinforced Concrete Run-of-river Ogee Weir Intake on South Mara River for New Kibaranu Treatment Works and Rehabilitation of existing Intake on Mara Manyi River for existing High-Level Zone Water Supply
• Construction of Raw Water ND 450mm, 3 Km long Ferrous Raw Water Gravity Main to New Kibaranu Treatment Works and Rehabilitation of Existing ND 160mm, 3 Km length uPVC mains for existing High-Level Zone Water Supply
• Construction of Kibaranu Water Treatment Works, gross capacity 15,000m3/d, Full Conventional Treatment Works
• Laying of 3 Nr. Transmission Pipelines, Total Length 14.2Km
• Installation of 3 Nr Storage Tanks, Total Capacity - 1,600m3
• Rehabilitation Works on existing Water Supply System i.e. repairs/ replacement of Distribution Pipelines and Storage Tanks
The Project is expected to be completed by 2021