Nzoia Cluster Phase I - Kitale
Kitale is the District Headquarters of the Trans Nzoia West District in Rift Valley Province of Kenya. It is situated about 380km north-west of the Kenyan capital, Nairobi. The Municipality covers an area of 90km2. The base population (1999) of about 82,750 is expected to grow to 152,158 by the year 2025 and the water demand is estimated to grow to 20,014m3/day by then.
The Project comprised of Construction of New Intake and Treatment Works in Kapolet to treat 10,500m3/d and Rehabilitation of the existing Water Supply System to its design capacity of 10,300m3/d. This has increased the treated water production capacity from the previous 6,000m3/d to 20,800m3/d.
The Raw Water from the Intake is gravitated to the Treatment Works by means of 600mm dia Steel Main, length 5km and the Treated Water transferred to Kitale Town by gravity through a 29km Steel Main, diameter varying from 400mm - 500mm. The Water Distribution Network has been extended by an additional 57km of Mains of diameters varying from 80mm – 300mm.
The Kitale Water Supply Works included the following:
• New Intake Works and Raw Water Gravity Main in Kapolet Forest;
• Construction of a new Conventional Water Treatment Plant, capacity 10,500m3/day, comprising of Flocculation Basin, Horizontal Flow Sedimentation Tanks and Rapid Sand Filters, Chemical Dosing
arrangements, Pump House, Administration Building incorporating Laboratory and Control Room and other Ancillary Site Works.
• Construction of 1Nr Reinforced Concrete Storage Tanks, capacity 2,500m3.
• Laying of a new Treated Water Gravity Main, length 29km, diameter varying from 500mm - 400mm
• Augmentation of existing Water Distribution Network by additional 57km of mains, diameters varying from 80mm to 300mm.
• Rehabilitation of the old Nzoia Water T. Works
Lake Victoria North Water Services Board (Now Lake Victoria North Water Works Development Agency)
Period of Assignment:
2006 - 2010
GoK & KfW
Data Collection, Engineering Survey, Preparation of Preliminary and Final Design Reports, Tender Documents, Prequalification of Tenders, Tender Evaluation and Award, Construction Supervision and Commissioning of Scheme.